New pricing for Ulysses

A view on a road in Mojave National Preserve, CA.

As we already announced yesterday, Ulysses 2.0 and Ulysses core 2.0 will be released on Wednesday, July 8. This Update hosts a tremendous list of features, refinements and polishes.

One change that we never spoke about and one that has not been brought up so far is the pricing. After six (!!!) years of free Updates, bringing Ulysses 1.0 to 1.6r2, we finally decided to do a paid update.

And we decided to make Ulysses cheaper. Not because we think it’s overpriced or not worth what we charge. It’s rather that we want to make it more affordable for many users. We don’t want people to choose a different application just because of the price.

As of July 8, 2009 this will be the new price tags:

• Ulysses 2.0 full version EUR 44.99
  • Ulysses 2.0 educational EUR 34.99
  • Ulysses core 2.0 full version EUR 24.99

For all Users who purchased after January 1st, 2009 version 2.0 will be a free update. For all others there are two options:

• Updating any version to Ulysses 2.0 full version EUR 24.99
  • Updating any version to Ulysses core 2.0 full version EUR 14.99

Max

14 Responses to “New pricing for Ulysses”

1. Ethan says:

Very fair pricing. I think the original pricing was also fair, but I hope the decision to become more market competitive results in success and a thriving business. That is what will result in success for users as you’ll be able to continue development.

Will you be migrating the forum to the new domain as well?

-Ethan

2. max says:

We are keeping the old one alive but close it for posting. We will have a new forum ready quite soon. The old one is a nice knowledge base, but it is actually quite complicated…

3. TwiRp says:

If people purchased Ulysses recently, will it be free to update to 2.0? (I’m a cheapskate)

4. max says:

As the text says: “For all Users who purchased after January 1st, 2009 version 2.0 will be a free update.”

5. TwiRp says:

Whoops, didn’t catch that part.
    Can’t wait to see the new site.

6. Jorge says:

As I told you by mail I think that Ulysses worth the money you ask for. To upgrade for 24.99 seems fair to me. I am looking forward to read the new manual to write a comprehensive review in my blog.

I wish you all the best with the new website and the projects to come. Thanks for keeping Ulysses alive!

7. Ian says:

I’d wish to confirm that the price for a Ulysses 2 Full upgrade form a Ulysses 1 Education license is 24.99? Other software vendor often require the purchase of a new full license in this case.

Great work.

8. max says:

@Jorge: Please keep us updated on your review, we are looking forward to it.
    @Ian: Yes, every license can be upgraded this way. We do not make a distinction between full or educational or core here. Just get the update and you have a full version.

9. talazem says:

I think you’ve actually hit it on the head with the pricing this time. Not so inexpensive that it is psychologically “cheap” and also unrewarding for the developers, but not out of reach either. And the three tiers of pricing are logical, and fit well together. Congratulations on 2.0; and I hope this is a good foundation for your well-deserved growth.

10. Ben says:

Very reasonable and fair pricing. Thanks, guys.

11. candyman says:

It should be great a bundle of Ulysses with Stapler at, if can I suggest, Euro 49,99… ;)

12. candyman says:

Ops: Euro 49,49 sounds better…

13. max says:

Yes, definitely. We might do this when Stapler 2.0 comes out :)

14. teetom says:

Hmm, i think pricing is far to low. For this piece of software could be much higher. I paid ten times more for software which wasn´t even ten times less worth.

Ulysses is exceptional, thank you for this