2.0 done and I am finished…

Well, here we are. Ulysses 2.0 is finally out, and apart from a few early hickups with the store, everything seems to go rather smoothly. This may change, of course, once everybody comes rushing in, but so be it. We’re prepared. ;)

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank everybdy involved with this rather stupid idea of taking a small software company and turning it around 180 degrees. Max and I had this vague concept, and while it took us far too long to make it happen, we’re very happy with where the Soulmen are today and glad everything worked out just the way it currently does.

Reboot.
Check.

So… first off, I’d like to thank Dirk for his great work and outstanding calm over last couple of weeks, trying to get all localizations ready for the launch of Ulysses 2.0. This is not an easy task, let me tell you, and it sure didn’t help that Max and I decided to juggle around vital parts of the interface at the last minute.

Then I’d like to thank Götz for both his tremendous work on the new help book and the series of screencasts. If we had to do these on our own, we would still be in pre-release limbo, or we would’ve shipped with the version 1.2 help and tiny featurett movie clips with Apple Loops as soundscape.

LAst not least, of course, Michael. Man of the exporters, or should I say — the exporter. Michael’s been around since… like… forever, and he has added a layer of constancy to this project, that *I* would never be able to provide (and neither could Max, but I can’t say that, he).

This project would NEVER be at this state without you.
So thanks a lot.

I’d also like to thank our friends, families, colleagues, kids (yeah), who’ve all suffered over the course of the past couple of months, but especially during the last weeks. Some more, some not so much, but we know. Without your continuing support and understanding, this — again — would not have been possible.

Now… it was hard, it was fun, it was crazy at times.
We feel it was worth it. Is. Will be.

This is just the beginning.
Hit me!

12 Responses to “2.0 done and I am finished…”

1. candyman says:

Good luck to the Soul-Men for a brilliant future!
    Hope people will choose the brand new Ulysses that – it should be reminded – was the first program for the creative minds.

p.s.: very nice the new site look&feel!

2. Steven Dale says:

Just to say that the download link near the bottom of the home page is broken:

* # Full 60-day trial · Ulysses has always been more than the sum of its parts, and words fail to describe the creative freedom it can offer. There’s also *still* nothing like it on any system. So please… take your time and try for yourself.

Thought you might like to now.

Steven

3. Marco says:

Just updated! Thank you!

4. max says:

@Steven, thank you for the hint :)

5. Gábor Tóth says:

Howdy Max,

Congratulations to all Soulmen crew members on launching Ulysses 2.0 and the new website!

I can confirm that Dirk is indeed a calm guy and it’s been a pleasure to work with him. Now, onwards and upwards!

Besto,

Gábor ;-)

6. mathew says:

Looks great, but… No HTML export? Really?

7. max says:

Yes, we have to admit that there still is no HTML export. We plan this for the next major release, or the one after. Development will start still this fall. However, to speed things up you *could* open a thread in our new forum and try to finde mates that also what such a thing. It would be especially useful for us to know what you’d expect from such an exporter…

8. Regarding HTML-export: I would prefer it much the save way as the LaTeX-exporter works today. Using a user-definable template lets me decide if I want a full XHTML-page, or just a HTML-snipplet. The template-system would also let me set up what HTML-tags I would want to use. Maximum flexibility for me, and you wouldn’t have to cater for different needs.

One thing, though, It would be nice if the exporter had a preview-button, that would launch your text in a browser. Without a preview, I’m not sure Ulysses will be the best choice for web copy.

9. Joakim Hertze says:

Also — given the way most people publish on the web these days — an ”export to clipboard” button would be nice.

10. Dirk says:

I don’t understand your way doing things.

First, you don’t update for about two years, and when I fire up my Ulysses 1.62, I don’t get any info on 2.0, and next, you charge for the 2.0 update…

11. Geir Anders says:

Both site and software looks great, and your review in TUAW is really good! Congrats!

One question though: Is there any chance that a collaboration feature like the one in SubEthaEdit will be added in future versions? As an engineer I often write on the same report as coworkers, and being able to do so in a program like this would be awesome.

12. max says:

We thought about this quite a long time. And we do like the idear of it – though it makes things even more complicated for us (seen technically). If we ever offer it, I think it will be a separate plugin, Bu maybe that’s okay.