Fixing the Snow Leopard issue…

This is just a quick notifier that we just released Ulysses 2.0.4 and Ulysses core 2.0.4. Both versions bring some minor bug fixes, but also solve an issue we just recently understood completely. If you have the recent items on Snow Leopard deactivated (maybe also by accident), Ulysses now performs all projects saves correctly again!

Have a nice weekend, as so will I!
Max

11 Responses to “Fixing the Snow Leopard issue…”

1. Great work. I have litteraly fixing my MacBook myself for the past 8 monhths. The Genius bar knows nothing and nothing ever gets fixed when I bring it in to be fixed. 10 tickets it 1 yr. It seems as though you are focusing directly into the CORE itself. I believe that there is some malicious code that apple will not admit. Watch out when you bookmark sites that you are unsure of. Also, watch out for unknown contacts that suddently appear in your Address book. For the past three months going back and forth with the 800 Apple help desk and the genius bar I started to notice a pattern.
    Just a guess.
    Anyways
    Thanks
    pat

2. Chris says:

So, just to be clear…

I have an issue where no recent projects show under the ‘Recent Projects’ menu item.

Also, my default startup mode is to startup with the last-opened project but this isn’t working either.

I do have the Recent Items preference disabled in Snow Leopard for security reasons but this shouldn’t affect individual applications, should it?

Is this a bug or a feature?

Thanks,
    Chris

• Ulysses adheres to the system settings here as they are usually what the user wants. That’s why Recent Projects currently do not work when Recent Documents are disabled system wide. The last opened Project functionality currently depends on the same setting, but we’ll see what we can do here.

3. Max says:

Chris, if you choose to store no recently opened files, how should we know which was the last one opened? This would be against your preference and against consitent behaviour.

4. Chris says:

I suppose I’m confused as to why an application is using the settings I use to keep the Recent Items from showing in the Apple-menu (OS-level). As I mentioned before, it’s a security issue to have recent items show in the Apple-menu.

However, when I open an application, I expect it to have its own settings regarding the number of Recent Items to show within Ulysses. Perhaps a drop-down in the Preferences with a “Use System Setting” option that will give it the functionality you’re providing right now and then the normal options (eg. 0, 5, 10, etc) that would override the system setting.

Just because I set a setting at the OS-level doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t be able to override it at the specific application level.

5. Chris says:

Just as a side note to my previous comment, some of Apple’s own applications don’t adhere to the System Preferences > Appearance > Recent Items setting (eg. QuickTime Player).

Being a longtime Mac user, I would never think that setting an option under System Preferences would trickle down to how applications display their recent items.

Now, I know you’ll say that it’s the way Pages is doing it but that’s annoying, too.

• max says:

However, you got to ask Apple about that. In fact, what all these applications use is a system-provided functionality. Some older Carbon apps (like the QuickTime Player) do not have the possibility to do so.

The question on the other side is, why someone would want to set a custom number of recent items in each application. Apple has created a single architecture for this — that developers are supposed to use. And this is why all Cocoa apps (like Ulysses and Pages etc) adhere to the single setting from the system preferences.

• Bardo says:

I’ll tell you why someone would want to set custom items per app, but not have it global. Simply put: Because that’s what we want. That’s the way it was prior to Snow Leopard, and if Apple was going to change it, they should have at least given an option of using global system settings or allowing apps to set recent lists independently.

6. Chris says:

Heh, it sounds like you guys are set in your ways.

If that’s the way it is, that’s the way it is.

7. Marcus says:

@ Chris: It’s not about “set in our way”. There’s just nothing we can do about it, really. As you say for yourself, it’s annoying in Pages, too, but that’s because the system’s behaviour is annoying. The system is broken in that regard, but it’s the *system*, not the individual applications.

So, if you want this system to change, tell Apple that it annoys the heck out of you, and that they should provide different means for managing recent items in regards to security/the apple menu.

8. Andreas says:

Thanks a million for fixing the saving-issue that I so painfully experienced and introduced, I appreciate your effort and quick action on that.

Regarding the opening of the previously worked on project – it might be an idea to look how browsers have implemented their trick of re-opening the last tab or session or window?

But overall, I am totally fine with the compromise as it stands :)