Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009 edited
    I’m having no luck getting Ulysses to export (as rtf) in a particular font—of course one of my favorites. That is, when I ask that a particular inline style be exported in a particular font (1 particular font), it shows up instead as Times. Happens in both main text and in notes.

    I have no trouble with any of the other fonts I’ve tried, and I’ve tried quite a few. (The trouble child is New Athena Unicode—if by chance you know it. It's a Greek font.)

    Ulysses has no trouble making use of this font, when I select it as the font for the editor, for example. So it ‘sees’ this font.

    Any suggestions?

    Perhaps there's a setting somewhere that substitutes Times for....?

    It just occurs to me that the snag *could* lie with my rtf editor (Nisus), but it handles otherwise this font just fine.

    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009
    I have now problem to use this font during export. You should check your settings in the RTF exporter. Maybe you set the font in the PDF or Word exporter.
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009 edited
    That’s not it.
    Today, though, after changing the font size (and perhaps after closing the programs?), it comes out fine. I don't know why.

    But today I have a strange (related?) problem with fonts on export.
    I’ve exported (as rtf) using Arial for Main Text. The OS font chooser (which pops up when choosing a font in Ulysses for export) lists “Arial” which I choose. Then, upon exporting as rtf, when I import the file into Mellel, Mellel asks me which font do I want to use to replace ArialMT—Ulysses (it seems) uses a different name. When I import into Nisus, something even stranger happens: the text is in Arial but it seems that Nisus ‘thinks’ it is Times. That is, the font is identified in the Text tool palette as Times, but the font being used is clearly Arial.

    I notice that Ulysses lists the names of a number of fonts differently from the font chooser and differently from these other word processors. It seems to remove spaces in names and in some cases at least to add to the name.

    In the end, if I choose the right font (name) all is well. For example, if I choose Arial Unicode MS (rather than Arial), Nisus does fine, and although Mellel sees a font it doesn’t know (ArialUnicodeMS), it tells you this and it is easily fixed.
    There is a hole in my idea here, though: New Athena Unicode shows up after export as NewAthenaUnicode, and although this causes Mellel to ask what to do with this (unknown) font, Nisus has no trouble (today!).

    Really I’m just guessing and in the end all works fine for me. I just thought you might like to know that the exported font names *might* be causing some trouble. Then again, I might be all wrong ;-)
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009

    The font thing definitely is something we will have to have a look into in one of the next versions. Our font chooser is no longer standard. I kept thinking about switching back to the original some time ago...